The Law Offices of Adrian Crane, P.C.
Slip & Fall Accidents and Injuries
Slip and fall injuries and accidents normally happen when you least expect them. That is so because people are not always looking directly at the ground at all moments; they have a reasonable expectation that the public place where they are walking is free of dangerous conditions. Slip and fall accidents account for more than one million injuries each year, and while some result in only bruises and hurt feelings, but many, many more result in devastating permanent and injuries. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, act now.
What to Do if You Have Suffered a Slip and Fall Injury….
- Secure Evidence Right Away. Securing evidence is crucial to winning your slip and fall case, and the earlier you do it, the better off you will be. The property owner may change or alter the unsafe conditions and even deny that the injury occurred on their property. Security videos are often set to delete footage every few days and so your evidence may be destroyed automatically or on purpose. So, take pictures, high quality ones with a date stamp if possible, and make sure someone else sees the dangerous condition and get as much contact information for them as possible.
- Report the Claim. Reporting the claim does several things. First of all, it lets the manager of the property know about your accident and increases the chances that your claim won’t be denied. Secondly it allows the property manager to contact their insurance company to put them on notice of your claim. Thirdly, it allows the property manager to fix the dangerous situation so that no one else will get hurt.
- Don’t sign anything without the advice of an attorney. There shouldn’t be anything needing your signature before hiring a lawyer, so don’t sign anything.
- Get medical care right away. Insurance adjusters will see what kind of medical care you get and how soon after the accident you get it to assess the severity of your claim. They use this information to evaluate and pay or deny claims.
- 5) Don’t talk to anyone after reporting the claim except your medical providers and your attorney, especially an insurance adjuster who wants to take your recorded or written statement. There are things that an insurance adjuster may want to do that are unethical or that violate your rights; your attorney can protect you from being victimized a second time.
- Don’t accept a fast but low settlement. Accepting a settlement offer from an insurance adjuster on a slip and fall accident and injury claim before completing your medical care and without an attorney is an invitation for being taken advantage of. Almost all personal injury lawyers work on a contingent fee basis, including our firm, so getting competent legal advice and representation is not only possible without any kind of out of pocket payment, but it is also in your best interests. Handling a slip and fall case on your own can be a costly mistake.
- Contact a slip and fall personal injury attorney at The Law Offices of Adrian Crane. The earlier you hire us, the more options we have in helping you.
We will secure evidence before it is destroyed.
We will photograph the area where you fell. Even if the condition is no longer dangerous, a picture is worth a thousand words to an insurance adjuster or jury in helping them understand things about your accident like how it happened, how the dangerous condition occurred, why it shouldn’t have occurred and how you were injured as seriously as you were.
We will obtain statements from witnesses who saw the accident happen or the dangerous condition before or after the accident, and possibly how often a dangerous condition existed there before your accident.
We will locate prior complaints about the hazardous conditions and prior slip and fall accidents at the same location.
Our Dallas and North Texas slip and fall attorneys know what needs to be done in your case. We will do everything possible to make sure your rights are protected.
Adjusters for insurance companies are well known for telling victims that they are going to pay a settlement but then delaying and eventually denying payment for slip and fall claims. They know these cases can be difficult to win without the guidance of an experienced slip and fall accident injury lawyer.
Do I Have a Good Slip & Fall Accident Case? What Is My Slip and Fall Case Worth?
The first thing our slip and fall personal injury lawyers do is determine if you have a good case. Compensation is largely based on the level of your injuries, so cases that are likely to result in high compensation usually involve a serious personal injury such as a broken hip or wrist.
Secondly, the level of negligence and how often the situation has been dangerous before and how many similar types of accidents have happened where you fell are important. The level of proof or evidence of both the dangerous condition and your injuries is important to the amount of compensation that can be obtained. Finally, the level of assets and insurance available for compensation is relevant to the level of compensation that can be obtained.
Kinds of Slip and Fall Accidents
There are many types of slip and fall accidents that cause serious injury. Water, ice and snow can accumulate or exist on stairs and sidewalks, leading to falls that cause spinal cord injuries, fractured vertebrae, bulging disks and other back injuries. Food and foreign substances left on the floors of restaurants, grocery stores, and supermarkets commonly lead to back, wrist, elbow, shoulder, and knee injuries. Spills that are not properly cleaned up or freshly mopped areas where warning signs were not placed often lead to slip and falls.
The five major causes of slip and fall accidents that we most frequently handle involve:
- Slippery floors from mopping, spills, ice and rain;
- Narrow stairs and broken rails or unsecured rails;
- Objects in a walkway such as toys and plants;
- Poor and uneven walking surfaces caused by settling or broken substrates;
- Poor visibility caused by insufficient lighting resulting in missed steps and inability to see other dangerous conditions.
- Steeply sloping driveways
If you or a loved one has been injured because of a slip, trip, or fall, you need the advice of an experienced North Texas attorney.
Damages Recoverable in Slip and Fall Accident and Injury Cases
Although compensation for damages caused by a slip and fall accident depends on the facts of your particular case, the following have the potential to be recovered:
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Present and future medical expenses incurred as a result of the incident
- Past and future lost wages or economic losses (lost income for a business owner) due to your injury and time to recovery
- Loss of future earning capacity
Additionally, the spouse of the injured person is entitled to recover for the loss of the services of his or her spouse would normally render while the injured person recovers. Although money cannot repair the physical damage that is done to the injured person, it can ease the financial burdens created when someone is injured in a slip and fall accident.
Slip and Fall Accident and Injury Facts and Statistics
- More than 55 percent of people 40 and older will suffer a debilitating slip and fall accident during their lifetime.
- Every year, 17,000 Americans die from slip and fall accidents.
- Slip and falls are the leading cause of fatal accidents for senior citizens 65 years of age and older. More than 55 percent of people 40 and older will suffer a debilitating slip and fall accident during their lifetime.
- Medical bills for a serious slip and fall accident can easily exceed $100,000.
If you or a loved one has suffered any kind of injury as a result of a slip and fall accident, you owe it to yourself and your family to hire an attorney who specializes only in representing injured victims. Contact an attorney at The Law Offices of Adrian Crane by calling or contacting us through the case evaluation form located on this website.
For your convenience, we offer home, hospital, office and nursing home visits. Our team of professionals at The Law Offices of Adrian Crane will provide you with the experience, strategy and commitment that protect your rights and claims.
At our personal injury firm, you speak directly with an attorney, not just secretaries and paralegals. A Spanish-speaking attorney and staff members are available for your assistance. Se habla Español.
Attorneys associated with The Law Offices of Adrian Crane handle cases across the state of Texas. Our principal office in North Texas is in Dallas however we are happy to welcome cases from anywhere in Texas, regardless of where you live or where the accident took place.