The Law Offices of Adrian Crane, P.C.
Swimming Pool, Hot Tub Injuries and Drowning Accidents
Injuries and accidents that take place in the water are particularly dangerous because of the likelihood of brain damage due to lack of oxygen. Drowning accidents at swimming pools, lakes and rivers are more common than one would expect, and the devastation to the family can be unimaginable. Drowning, if it doesn’t result in death, often results in serious brain damage; this changes lives forever. Dealing with the aftermath of such incidents is difficult, especially when a precious loved one has been lost. Where catastrophic injuries have occurred such as brain damage, spinal injuries and other severe injuries, the damages can devastate a family’s finances in addition to bringing deep emotional pain and suffering. It is crucial that you have skilled assistance from a drowning accident attorney to explain your rights and handle the legal aspects of your case.
At The Law Offices of Adrian Crane, we provide high quality, experienced and compassionate legal representation for those who have been injured in a number of aquatic accidents. This includes incidents that occur at amusement parks, at country clubs, on cruise ships, on Jet Ski or boats, at hotels or public and city pools, at the beach, at water parks, at private homes or in rivers and lakes or other bodies of water.
The firm can handle cases involving injuries or wrongful deaths caused by lifeguard inattention or negligence or improper lifeguard training, beach patrol negligence, pool operator negligence, negligent pool or hot tub maintenance, or by a defective pool gate or defective pool fence. We can also handle all cases at spas and hot tubs where people especially children are injured or killed.
Many helpless children drown in swimming pool accidents every year- a majority of them in local public swimming pools which should have been safe. The unfortunate thing is that children are very vulnerable around water; studies show that a child could drown in as little as two inches of water. The problem is usually one of supervision.
It’s not just children that drown in swimming pools. Many people enjoy swimming pools and never even think about drowning, and yet every day, nine people on average drown every day in the United States. The starting place to preventing swimming pool accidents is learning about he potential dangers of swimming pools.
Swimming Pool Accident Statistics
- Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death among children ages 1 to 4.
- Drowning is the second leading cause of accidental deaths among children ages 1 to 14.
- For each death caused by drowning, there are between one and four nonfatal submersion accidents serious enough that end up in hospitalization.
- Boys have a drowning rate more than two times that of girls. However, girls having a bathtub drowning rate twice that of boys.
- For children aged 1 to 4, most drownings occur in residential swimming pools.
- Fencing that isolates the pool from the house (four sided fending) and the yard has shown to decrease the number of drowning injuries from 50 to 90 percent.
- More than half of drownings among infants (under age 1) occur in small containers such as bathtubs, buckets and toilets.
- For children under age 5, portable pools make up 11% of all pool drownings.
- Nonfatal drownings can result in brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities including learning and memory disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning.
- Amazingly, nineteen percent of child drowning fatalities take place in public pools with certified lifeguards on duty.
- Roughly 5,000 children under the age of 14 go to the hospital because of drowning-related accidents each year. 15% die and about 20% suffer from permanent neurological disabilities.
- Close to 80% of children involved in a home-drowning accidents had only been missing for five minutes or less when found in the swimming pool. 70% weren’t expected to be in or near the pool at that time.
- In nearly 90% of child-drowning deaths, a parent or caregiver claimed to be watching the child.
- Participation in formal swimming lessons can reduce the risk of drowning by 88% among children ages 1-4.
Circulation Entrapment Injury in Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs
Circulation entrapment occurs when a bather or swimmer is trapped by the suction generated by the water rushing out of the drain in a pool, hot tub, spa, or whirlpool. Individuals can be held by a body part, jewelry, hair, hair accessory, or swimsuit. Young swimmers are the most common victims because of their weak physical strength as compared to the suction. Circulation entrapment can lead to injury (drowning or disembowelment) or death.
Circulation Entrapment and Hot Tub Injury Statistics
- Anywhere from ten to twenty drownings and twice that amount for non-fatal injuries per year occur on average as the result of circulation entrapment.
- Like drownings, children are most at risk; the highest number of total fatality and injury victims of circulation entrapment involved children between the ages of 5 and 14.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has reports of 74 incidents involving body part entrapment, and of those 74 reports, 13 people died and two were disemboweled.
- The CPSC knows of 43 incidents, including 12 deaths which the victim’s hair was suctioned into the drain.
- On average approximately 60 drownings in hot tubs and spas are reported every year to the Consumer Product Safety Commission from.
- Several deaths have been reported to the CPSC that were caused by extremely hot water (approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit or higher) in a spa.
If you or a loved one has suffered any kind of drowning or injury at a swimming pool or hot tub as a result of the negligence or recklessness of another, you owe it to yourself and your family to hire an attorney who specializes only in representing injured victims. Contact an attorney at The Law Offices of Adrian Crane by calling or contacting us through the case evaluation form located on this website.
For your convenience, we offer home, hospital, office and nursing home visits. Our team of professionals at The Law Offices of Adrian Crane will provide you with the experience, strategy and commitment that protect your rights and claims.
At our personal injury firm, you speak directly with an attorney, not just secretaries and paralegals. A Spanish-speaking attorney and staff members are available for your assistance. Se habla Español.
Attorneys associated with The Law Offices of Adrian Crane handle cases across the state of Texas. Our principal office in North Texas is in Dallas however we are happy to welcome cases from anywhere in Texas, regardless of where you live or where the accident took place.